Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm here!

I tried to update while I was in the Brisbane airport, but it didn't go through for some reason, and then I ran out of time. Anyway, the trip went smoothly for the most part (minus the part where my checked bag is still on tour without me somewhere in the world... it's supposed to be here tomorrow), and I've now been in Ukarumpa for about a day and a half.

There's so much I could write about... I don't even know where to start! PNG is an amazing place! I'll decide what to tell you about and write a lot more tomorrow when I get my own computer back from the shop here. (They're making sure for themselves that there aren't any viruses on it that would wreak havoc here if they got loose)

For now, I'll leave you with this description of my first glimpse of the country: coming in to land at Port Moresby, the plane banked to set us up for the final approach, and I saw swamps below (with some kind of large white birds flying around in them), a few ocean coves and villages on the coast, lots of grassland/forests on the inland plains, and further inland, hills gradually becoming mountains until there was a mountain range that disappeared into the clouds.

No comments: